Friday, February 06, 2009

Bracing Ourselves

By Peggy Noonan

[The president's] serious and consequential policy mistake is that he put his prestige behind not a new way of breaking through but an old way of staying put. This marked a dreadful misreading of the moment. And now he's digging in. His political mistake, which in retrospect we will see as huge, is that he remoralized the Republicans. He let them back in the game.

My comment: Peggy's definitely got her A-game going. This is an alarming, sobering column. I hope Mr. Obama takes time out from his grandstanding to read it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Steve K. said...

"grandstanding"? Stan, you can't say anything without taking a cheap shot. I don't know what news channel you're watching, but I'd switch it off. Geez.

1:08 PM  
Blogger Stan Guthrie said...

I will if you will! ; )

Seriously, that was a gibe that wasn't strictly necessary, but I'm being honest when I tell you I was hoping for better from Obama. With all the good will he had generated, he had the chance to do something special. I fear he's booting it all away in ham-handed political power plays.

But I'll try to be nicer next time. And do read Peggy's column; it's important.

2:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home