Thursday, February 05, 2009

Barack Obama, CEO

President Obama, blessed with virtually no executive experience of his own, nevertheless apparently can divine how much compensation other executives, whose companies receive bailout money, should receive (no more than $500,000). That's really rich-and I'm not talking about the salaries.

Then our commander in chief, facing Republicans who disagree that a pork-laden spending bill laced with goodies for Democratic Party favorites is the only possible response to the recession, is reduced to sputtering, "But I won the election!" Reminds me of the childish Trelaine character in Star Trek, who, when called inside by his parents, whines, "But I was winnin'!"

Yes, Mr. Obama, you won the election, but now it is time to start governing. Winning an election doesn't give you a blank check. It gives you the opportunity to lead. Do you know how to do that?

Leading is more than simply announcing a policy without consultation and expecting the other political party to fall into line. It involves listening, horse-trading, and persuading.

If you truly want this to be a bipartisan bill, you'll have to be a better chief executive officer. Otherwise, we may be forced to cut your pay.

2 Comments:

Blogger Steve K. said...

Hey Stan,

I called you out a little in my latest blog post over at Knightopia.com (hopefull in a friendly, nice way, of course). I hope you'll read it and offer some gracious pushback, as I know you are good at.

Peace,
Steve K.

10:43 AM  
Blogger Stan Guthrie said...

My response:

Steve,

Trust me, I have respect for Obama the man, but his presidency is not off to a rip-roaring start, now, is it? All these tax problems, a boondoggle of a bill, and an alarming failure to lead during an economic crisis. Barack Obama seems to be responding quite immaturely ("But I won!"). He'd better bring his A-game if he wants to do something for the country rather than simply win politically. He already has the votes for that. And as far as simply giving him what he wants because he is the president, last time I checked, there are three branches of government, and I can't remember Democrats giving Bush that kind of treatment. And besides, Mr. Obama was so vague during the campaign about what he might actually do that it's hard for him to claim a mandate now, particularly about this stinker of a bill.

Best wishes,

Stan

12:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home