Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Election '08: Running Out the Clock

Last night's debate was a yawner, and that's good news for Sen. Obama, who leads in the polls and is simply trying to run out the clock until November 4. Amid dire predictions that the event might get really "negative," both men used the questions to rattle off their now tired talking points. Sen. McCain, to his credit, at least proposed something new, but he was unenergetic and uninspiring. If he's looking to come in a polite second, he accomplished what he needed to in Nashville.

Speaking of the "Straight Talk Express," here's what I wish the war hero from Arizona had said about the economy, and said forcefully:

"My opponent is a big-spending, inexperienced liberal who is up to his elbows in the current crisis. His solutions amount to finger-pointing, and nothing more. Some of his closest economic advisers and political cronies are also responsible for this mess. I and the Bush administration-yes, the Bush administration-tried to warn them more than a dozen times to do something about it before it was too late. But they resisted our every attempt, and to our shame we let the matter drop. I'm sorry we didn't do enough, and we weren't honest with you, the American people, about what was coming.

"No matter what Sen. Obama says now, and he'll say anything to get elected, this is a bipartisan mess, and it is going to take bipartisan effort to clean it up. My friends, there is only one candidate here tonight who has a track record of reaching across the aisle to the other party to get things done. There is only one candidate here who has been refined by fire. There is only one candidate who has the experience and judgment to lead our nation through this challenge. This won't be easy, and it will take a while.

"We cannot simply punish a few out-of-control CEOs on Wall Street and think the job is done. We all have had a hand in this crisis, including some of us on Main Street, and we all will have to shoulder the burden to get through it. But I promise to you tonight that I will make sure the burden is shared equally.

"As Winston Churchill once said, 'I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat.'" But working together we will pull through, stronger than ever. As Churchill also said, 'I take up my task with buoyancy and hope. I feel sure that our cause will not be suffered to fail among men. At this time I feel entitled to claim the aid of all, and I say, 'come then, let us go forward together with our united strength.' And they succeeded against devastating odds, and so will we.

"My friends, I offer buoyancy and hope, not finger-pointing and blame. Let's show the world that America can still meet the biggest challenges and remain a beacon of hope and freedom for all mankind. Join me, and we will see that our nation's best days are ahead of us."

5 Comments:

Blogger Steve K. said...

That's a good speech, Stan. But it would've required McCain to be able to connect two coherent sentences, which he clearly was unable to do last night. And the finger-pointing "blame game" is the one McCain is playing right now. Obama is just firing back at McCain's tired attempts. At least, that much is pretty clear to me and to the folks polled after last night's debate. Obama wins again.

McCain, it appears, will indeed come in second, although I wouldn't use the adjective "polite." McCain and Palin are now stoking the flames of white anger and fear against Obama, allowing their audiences to shout things like "He's a terrorist!" and "Kill him!" without offering any response. I wouldn't call that "polite." The proverbial wheels have indeed come off the "Straight Talk Express."


"The politician who promises to put patriotism before selfishness, who promises not to lie, and then renenges, does more harm to the public trust than does the politician who makes no issue of his virtue."
–John McCain, Worth the Fighting For, Chapter 12, “Straight Talk,” page 379

11:08 AM  
Blogger Stan Guthrie said...

Steve,

I wish you wouldn't say, "But they started it!" That's what little kids say. Obama is just as nasty as McCain.

I don't believe McCain and Palin are stoking racism. Obama is getting to be an old hand at playing the race card, and it's getting old. The opposition to him is much more principled than that.

As far as who won the debate, Obama looked better in a suit, younger, and a bit more articulate. If those are the things people care about, then, yes, he won. Sigh.

Stan

11:19 AM  
Blogger Steve K. said...

Stan,

I think it's childish the way you characterized (and dismissed) my legitimate critique of the McCain campaign, but oh well.

If McCain-Palin don't want to be accused of stoking racism, then they need to drop the verbal attacks against these microscopicly loose affiliations of Obama to people like Bill Ayers. But they won't, because (as they told the Washington Post) that's the only way they think they can win.

Your candidate's so-called "much more principled" campaign is nothing but, Stan. Please wake up and realize that some of us do care more about how someone looks in a suit. Sheesh.

Why is it so hard to say, "I support John McCain, BUT he is just wrong wrong wrong about how he is campaigning"? Isn't that what your blog post was about in the first place? I'd just a bit further and say that McCain is doing a worse than poor job at campaigning. He is doing a sleazy job. And, regardless of what Cindy McCain thinks, it's not Obama who is the king of dirt and smear this year. Yeah, they both do it, but there are degrees to seriousness of the offense, my friend ;-)

11:37 AM  
Blogger Stan Guthrie said...

This will be my last comment on this post, Steve. I fail to see how Obama's long association with an unrepentant former terrorist is not fair game. Ayers is white; how in the world is it racist to bring this up? You can be sure Obama would bring this up if the roles were reversed.

I'm glad you have finally admitted that they both do it. I wish they both would campaign fairly and honorably, but they don't. Satisfied?

I'm very interested in the truth getting out and in people voting on that basis. But I have yet to hear a compelling case why anyone should vote for Obama (other than the need for "change," which will come regardless of who is elected).

I've heard a lot (including from you) about how evil McCain and the Republicans are, along with unsubstantiated charges about racism. That's not exactly the high-minded campaign that I was expecting from Mr. Obama. This is an ugly campaign, and Obama is doing his part to keep it that way.

Stan

11:53 AM  
Blogger Steve K. said...

Stan,

I appreciate you giving me the last word. That's very polite of you ;-)

No, seriously, my concern about the McCain-Palin tact at the moment is not because Ayers is white, it's because Obama is black and McCan-Palin are talking to a predominately white audience, telling them Obama is "dangerous," "a terrorist" (guilt by association, I guess), and, in the mind of at least one McCain supporter, should be "killed." The fact that that does not seem to concern you is troubling to me.

If you're really interested in a compelling case to vote for Obama, I'd be glad to give it to you. Or you could go to barackobama.com and read all about his detailed plans there. Or, if the abortion issue is high on your list of concerns, you could go to the new prolifeproobama.com website to find out why pro-life people are supporting Barack Obama -- because he will actually do more to reduce abortions than McCain.

Just to be clear: I'm not saying John McCain, Sarah Palin, or Republicans are "evil." I'm calling into question these campaign tactics that are stoking fear and anger for political gain. We both agree both campaigns do it, but I'm arguing to different degrees. Regardless, I've sent several emails to the Obama campaign to complain about their fear-mongering -- and I'll continue to do so. Have you sent a single email to the McCain campaign yet to complain?? That's what I'm asking you to do. Don't just sit back and let your candidate talk trash if you don't approve of it. Speak up, at the very least. You are not helpless to act, nor are you blameless if you choose not to act.

12:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home