Tuesday, September 08, 2009

What Obama Won't Say

"Kids, you need to stay in school, like I did. Our public education system is the best in the world, and if you work hard, you can be anything you want to be. You might even grow up to be president.

"Of course, if you go to school in Chicago, where I'm from, it might be a good idea to wear a flak jacket; occasionally our students get shot or stabbed, but that's a small price to pay to ensure our teachers unions get what they want, which is total control of the educational options of the poor.

"Yes, the academics in the schools Arne Duncan worked so hard to reform remain abysmal in all but a few schools, and, frankly, if I were a student in Chicago, I might drop out, too. I mean, it's dangerous, and you don't actually learn much.

"Luckily, I was able to receive other schooling options. But you shouldn't count on getting help from me on that score. After all, I'm here to inspire you, but let's remember that you're much too young to actually vote for me. I've got to take care of my constituents and donors, and they run the education system in this country. You'll learn about all this in college, if you get that far.

"Yes, I'm 'pro-choice,' but I don't believe in educational choice; I think everyone should support our free public education system-everyone, that is, except for people like me. You don't really expect me to put Sasha and Malia in D.C. schools, do you?"

2 Comments:

Blogger Steven Gertz said...

Stan, I too am suspicious of Obama, crafty politician and political pragmatist that he is. But honestly, there's very little to quibble with when you actually read his script. Actually the thing that annoyed me most was his assumption that people should get a good education so they can serve their country, as if that was what mattered most. Typical of a politician, I suppose, but why can't people work hard because working hard is itself worth doing?

6:31 AM  
Blogger Stan Guthrie said...

That's one of the things I have no problem with. : ) Aren''t Christiians supposed to seek the peace of the city in which they are called? Oh, well!

I am wearied hearing the daily horror stories coming out of the Chicago Public Schools, and it is the hypocrisy and control of politicians such as Obamma that keep poor kids locked up in them. Maddening!

9:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home