Monday, June 08, 2009

Two Questions Never to Ask the Unemployed

Here are two questions never to ask the unemployed:

Don't ask, "How are you doing?" unless you are willing to sit and listen for a while. There's no easy answer to it.

We're doing about as you might expect. We're doing poorly because we don't have work but still have all the usual bills. We're alternately feeling good because we sense a wide open door to try new things and bad because so many doors seem to be closed. We're struggling with feelings of low self esteem because we cannot provide for our families and are always seeking help. We're happy to see more of our families (though the feeling might not always be reciprocated).

Don't ask, "Is there anything I can do?" Of course there is; we're unemployed. We don't want to be a burden, and we feel embarrassed about our situation, and so you may have to draw the information out of us. We need prayer, job leads, assistance navigating government aid programs, money, help with the kids, someone to listen.

Instead of asking this question, ascertain what our needs are and ask, "May I help you with ... ?" Be specific, persistent, and gentle. Our lips may at first say "No," but chances are our hearts are saying "Yes."

4 Comments:

Blogger Ravan Asteris said...

We don't want to be a burden, and we feel embarrassed about our situation, and so you may have to draw the information out of us.

Pride goeth before the fall.

I have long made it a practice to help my unemployed friends and colleagues find work. I know that they will do the same for me - it's part of being a friend.

6:28 PM  
Blogger Stan Guthrie said...

Then you are a good friend indeed.

8:43 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Then I won't ask how you are. Please understand we mean well -- just like people mean well when they ask me how I am following the death of my son. You get idiot comments -- like the lady at church who was irked by having to put up with her grandchildren all weekend and told me not in so many words that I was so blessed bc I didn't have to put up with the inconvenience. but it is essential to extend grace, not only to those who say the wrong thing, but also to those who find themselves speechless in the face of incomprehensible grief. Many people don't ask how you are at all. That's because they're terrified of what has happened to me -- that it could happen to them as well.

8:24 AM  
Blogger Stan Guthrie said...

Amen. Well said.

1:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home