Thursday, April 30, 2009

President Humperdinck


Last night our president said the following in response to a question about being the (main) shareholder in the auto industry:

"I don't want to run auto companies. I don't want to run banks. I've got two wars I've got to run already. I've got more than enough to do. So the sooner we can get out of that business, the better off we're going to be."


It reminded me of a great scene from The Princess Bride, when the evil Count Rugen and Prince Humperdinck are in the midst of a nefarious plot, which includes the torture of Wesley, the hero.

Count Rugen: Ah. Are you coming down into the pit? Wesley's got his strength back. I'm starting him on the machine tonight.
Prince Humperdinck: [sincerely] Tyrone, you know how much I love watching you work, but I've got my country's 500th anniversary to plan, my wedding to arrange, my wife to murder and Guilder to frame for it; I'm swamped.
Count Rugen: Get some rest. If you haven't got your health, then you haven't got anything.


My advice to President Obama: Don't be a Humperdinck. Get some rest, then strap on your helmet and shoulder pads. Remember, you volunteered for this job.

2 Comments:

Blogger Steven Gertz said...

Stan, I'm not quite tracking with you here. Are you saying you 'want' Obama to be in the business of running banks and auto manufacturers?

5:32 PM  
Blogger Stan Guthrie said...

No, I'm saying that his comment reminded me of Prince Humperdinck, and that if he really feels the need to "run" the U.S. economy and two wars (as if he really could), then he at least needs to stop whining about it. It was a joke! : )

9:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home