Monday, February 25, 2008

The Once and Future Vampire Novelist

In a CT article by Cindy Crosby published just over two years ago, novelist Anne Rice--famous for her dark stories about vampires--spoke of her return to her Catholic faith and said she would from now on write about Christ. While she did not repudiate her earlier work, saying it was a record of her spiritual journey, she said she was through with vampires:



I would never go back, not even if they say, 'You will be financially ruined; you've got to write another vampire book.' I would say no. I have no choice. I would be a fool for all eternity to turn my back on God like that.



And for a while, she was true to her word, writing the first two works in a series about the life of Christ. The second, Christ the Lord: The Road to Cana, is due out on March 4. After a planned third installment on Jesus, Rice plans to return to her vampire chronicling. But isn't that going back on her word? Rice answers Time this way: "I don't see it as a violation of my promise, because I won't be writing about vampires in the same way." And indeed, her new promise--to put the stories in a Christian framework with an accent on redemption--sounds interesting. But Time isn't buying, commenting: "Still, it is difficult to see it as anything but a change of heart."

I cannot pretend to see into Anne Rice's soul, but to me this is a troubling turn of events. Whatever the merits and drawbacks of writing one final vampire novel, her vow was all-encompassing, seemingly linking her eternal destiny to keeping it. I am reminded of the following verses:



When you vow a vow to God, do not delay paying it, for he has no pleasure in fools. Pay what you vow. It is better that you should not vow than that you should vow and not pay. Let not your mouth lead you into sin, and do not say before the messenger that it was a mistake. Why should God be angry at your voice and destroy the work of your hands?

2 Comments:

Blogger Glenn said...

I think I can understand your concern about Ms. Rice's apparent change of direction. But in response to your verses regarding making a vow, etc., I would raise the counterbalance: "Let him who is without sin...." In other words, I have done my share of "re-negotiating" my vows over the years. Perhaps instead of tossing stones at her, we could offer some wise counsel and encouragement.
ef

3:09 PM  
Blogger Author Sue Dent said...

All Mrs. Rice vowed to was to serve God and not to write about vampires in the same way she used to.

Perhaps God is calling her and preparing her to write in the genre she seems to excell in, a genre that many Christian youth go to explore and read.

How wonderful it would be for them to find something written by a Christian!

Anne's vow was never not to write in this genre again. Her vow was never to write in this genre from a non-Christian POV.

As an author and a Christian myself (though not conservative evangelical)I find this market more than ready for whatever Anne has to dish out. My vampire/werewolf novel, Never Ceese, written by a Christian as a Christian was voted book club choice of the month of May 2007 at the American Christian Fiction Writers Association.

Godspeed Anne!

Go where God is calling you.

10:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home